Rio Celeste – Mystical, magical, and breathtaking are the only words suitable to describe this unique natural treasure.Details
Sarapiqui, pronounced SARA – PEY- KEY, is located about 1 hour and 20 minutes from our hotel. This area, belonging to the province of Heredia, is one of the most bio-diverse areas in all of Costa Rica, with countless species of tropical birds, reptiles, insects, animals, and plants and flowers, including many endangered and endemic species.
This is a nature lover’s paradise, where you can enjoy horseback rides, rainforest hikes, safari floats, and incredible bird watching tours in addition to cultural activities like chocolate tours, coffee tours, cooking classes, or take Costa Rican traditional dance classes. The more adventurous can also enjoy white water rafting and canopy zip line tours in the lush tropical jungles and raging rivers of Sarapiqui.
Some key spots to visit are:
- Organization of Tropical Studies (OTS) – much of this area has been reserved for scientific research on rainforest habitats and their inhabitants. National Geographic frequently films here.
- Snake and Wildlife Gardens – Enjoy an amazing collection of snakes and reptiles including anacondas, pythons, crocodiles, snapping turtles and more.
- Palmitours – This is a small tour run by a local family, where you will learn everything you ever wanted to know about palm hearts, and savor a delicious lunch made almost entirely out of palm hearts…in creations you never even dreamed of.
- Tirimbina – Here you can enjoy some amazing nature hikes in the rainforest, visit beautiful waterfall, walk across hanging bridges in search of monkeys, birds, and more, or discover how chocolate grows on trees and what it takes to turn the cocoa fruit into the candy bars we love.
- Craft Market – Located in the Islas del Rio Restaurant and Hostel is a unique souvenir shop where you can see local women creating their incredible art, most of which is made out of recycled materials like plastic bottles and bags, aluminum can tabs, wood scraps, and more.